Fine Art/SPADEM

Question
Hi Andrew,

I read information you provided about SPADEM.

"SPADEM is a legitimate organization that does publish reproductions of artistís works.  These SPADEM produced works unfortunately have little or no collectable value...."

I have seen SPADEM works (1960's) listed on eBay claiming to have an artist hand signature(ex/Picasso, Chagall, Matisse, etc).

Did SPADEM produce any artwork with ture artist signatures? And in general, what is your assessment of such art?

Thanks
Rocco

Answer
Dear Rocco,

Some SPADEM works do have hand signatures as the artist would sign their reproductions during their lifetime as a form of an autograph or as a thank you to someone. And SPADEM is known to have published editions of artists works such as Picasso's "La Ronde de la Jeunesse (The Dance of the Youth)", 1961 which has a hand-signed edition. So it depends on the work. When you buy such a piece that is known to have reproductions exist and is a work by SPADEM it is one you want to see in person to verify the signature for yourself. However signed ones are a rarity among the SPADEM portfolio, so when you see one you simply have to do your due diligence and research. Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans