Fine Art/Catalda Durer

I just bought an Catalda Fine Arts framed picture.  On the back it says:

Title  8497 Partridge
Artist Durer
Frome No. BA598
Order No.  2677

I know of the lawsuit against Catalda, and assume that they are no longer in business.  Is this print worth anything?  (I only paid  $15 for it at an estate sale.  Thanks for your help.

Dear Susan,

The work is considered a reproduction and is worth decorative value, meaning what someone is willing to pay for it. However Durer is a well-known artist and values can vary on these Catalda works based on factors such as the desirability of the image, the artist, size, condition, and framing. Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century and was acquired by Colonial Art Gallery & CO in 1983. So if you are interested in knowing more about the history of the company or the particular printing series you own, they should have records and might be able to provide you with information. Hopefully that helps. Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University