Fine Art/Who is the artist and is it worth it to get it restored/ properly framed

Question
Full picture
Full picture  

Signature
Signature  
Dear mister Lombardo,

Our main question is;
Who is the artist and is it worth it to get it restored/ properly framed

we bought this painting for almost nothing and really like it, we are thinking about getting it professionally restored and properly framed but that will set us back about 800,-.

we would like to understand if its worth it to do all this...

I have more pictures if needed. Our initial search led to "H. Welters" but there is hardly anything on the guy...

Thank you!

Answer
Hello Owen and thank you for the very clear images, of the subject matter.

Such quality images, they are really helpful in drawing any worthwhile conclusions.
It is probably best, if I split the answer into  smaller  portions.
Firstly it is a landscape painted in Holland, by the artist called W. F. H. Welter who lived  from 1862 -1930.

Welter, painted mainly in oil on canvas and his main themes were the traditional  landscapes.
In fact this painting is almost certainly painted in the  fruit growing region, along the river Linge - which is called the Betuwe, in Holland.
In fact the landscape in the Betuwe, it has hardly changed since the time that this painting was created.

It was through this kind of landscape that during the Second World war – when  the British, Canadian, Polish and the American GI’s, they  all  manoeuvred  and fought,  during the airborne operation - which is called Market Garden.     

Ordinary photo’s, they provide us with  lots of  information, however to find out more  about the  state of repair of the object, then a  real forensic examination would be needed, in order to ascertain the exact kind of restoration, which may be needed.

Judging by the images supplied, it appears to be in relatively good condition, which might  entail  - a very light cleaning and some retouching of  a few fragile areas, and finally being given a reversible coating of varnish +  a suitable frame.
Unfortunately, you give no clues as to you own  locations, therefore by contacting a good local  museum near to where you are living, the conservation department should be able to advise you as to  finding some able, and qualified picture restorers.

However, giving it to the wrong kind of amateur restorer who does a bad job on it, will undoubtedly ruin it completely, but also devalue it to almost zero.

Very good luck with the painting, it should not prove difficult to fix, when you find the right restorer and it will only add to the value of the  painting.

I hope that this  information is of some use to you.

Have a nice day.
David.

D. E. Lombardo