Fine Art/Edmund Adler Oil Painting

Question
Dolly,
My grandmother has an oil painting, looks to be 18x24". The subject is a young boy sitting on a wood box holding a wedge of cheese. Next to him is a basket of puppies. The artist signed "Adler Edmund" in the upper right-hand corner. Any idea what this painting is worth?

Answer
Dear Patrick,

It sounds like your grandmother's painting is by Edmund Adler, (1871-1957), a very well respected Austrian painter who specialized in genre scenes; particularly of children. Since I cannot see your painting or inspect it personally, I cannot tell you if it is an original oil painting by the artist. The size of the canvas and the subject of the child engaging life is appropriate for his style. I have not seen where he puts his last name first as your. You will need to have it examined by a professional before you can be certain it is by the artist.

His work is very popular in Europe; particularly Austria, and his paintings appear at fine art auctions regularly. Art auctions represent a value in the wholesale range and does not represent a retail gallery price. As with all auctions and artists there are many factors on why a painting by an artist sells for one price one day and then a much different price at another auction on a different day. It is all about connecting the right buyer with the right painting.

Similar paintings as you describe by Adler have sold at various auctions in Europe and a few in the U.S. in 2014 in the $7-14,000 range. If your Grandmother is wanting to sell her painting, I suggest contacting the major auction houses for evaluation.

I hope this information is helpful.
Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley