Fine Art/Jeanne Mellin artwork

Question
mellin
mellin  

Would you tell me about this Jeanne Mellin artwork, signed/dated '49.  I was offered $50 for it - should I accept?
Thanks

Answer
Dear Roseann,

Jeanne Mellin is a well known equine artist. I know her work by her books on the Morgan Horse. I found other examples of your print online. I believe you have a reproduction print that had an unknown printing edition; but I cannot tell you for certain without examining in person. If you do a search on ebay and Google using her name and horse prints (also add paint if looking for your exact image), you will find the range of pricing of her vintage prints. Condition is everything on prints so if yours has any damage it will affect its value. Jeanne is still selling art and you can see some of her limited edition and signed prints on her website. http://artofjeannemellin.com/Home_Page.php

If it is a vintage reproduction print, I personally would consider $50 a fair price within the current market range.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley