Fine Art/Jeanne Mellin artwork

Would you tell me about this Jeanne Mellin artwork, signed/dated '49.  I was offered $50 for it - should I accept?

Dear Roseann,

Jeanne Mellin is a well known equine artist. I know her work by her books on the Morgan Horse. I found other examples of your print online. I believe you have a reproduction print that had an unknown printing edition; but I cannot tell you for certain without examining in person. If you do a search on ebay and Google using her name and horse prints (also add paint if looking for your exact image), you will find the range of pricing of her vintage prints. Condition is everything on prints so if yours has any damage it will affect its value. Jeanne is still selling art and you can see some of her limited edition and signed prints on her website.

If it is a vintage reproduction print, I personally would consider $50 a fair price within the current market range.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.