Fine Art/Watercolor Painting

Watercolor on paper
Watercolor on paper  

I've been trying to research information that would assist me in finding out who this artist is.

This came from the home of Michael Morrison who was an architect, interior designer and started with William Haines the actor turned interior designer.  

We have extensive provenance, including gallery name and artist with labels on the back of this painting, but still not way of finding out who this is.  Also called the phone number listed on the back and it was of course disconnected.

I'm hopeful that you can assist me in my quest to solve this mystery.

John Lewis

Dear John,

If I could give the best advice to artists who wish to build a collector base it would be to make sure you have your full name, (and a bio would be a bonus), somewhere on your work, even if it the back. In this case the artist put his name and address, but the use of initials instead of his/her full name makes research nearly impossible. Especially if it is a regional artist with local popularity, but not listed nationally.

The only information I could find pertaining to your watercolor is another piece currently for sale on ebay. The art dealer with the painting does not know the artist either so at least his anonymity is consistent. I will give you the link. I would suggest to continue doing internet searches with various search engines using: Watercolor by H.R. Williams and hope that the gallery or person with the listing has more information on the artist. Another search tip is using his address as a clue, in this case New Hampshire, and contact watercolor society's and art organizations in his geographic area to see if anyone recognizes the work or signature.

I'm sorry this is about all I can do for you at this time.

Best regards,

Painting on ebay:

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.