Fine Art/Is this art or decoration item?

street on rainy day
street on rainy day  
Hello Mr. Lombardo,

This painting is on canvas, showing street on rainy day. I was wondering what city it could be and why no one is using umbrella? I imagine that probably is not worth anything but am curious about the theme.
Appreciate any information.
Thank you.

Hello Anna and thanks for the question and also, for the good clear photo of the painting.

The image in question is that  a  >>street scene<<   of a town in Germany which promotes a kind of euphoric optimism, just  before  the outbreak of the first world war  (1914 -1918).
The image is most likely that of  one persons view of reality,  or perhaps it is a >>wish << for an escape from one place, in order to live in quite a different  place.
It is a composite of many different cities, in a desire to create something  which is both ideal and new.
However, it most definitely German in origin.

In a way, it also has quite a few deeper emotional connections to the video of a  musician called Annie Lennox in her video clip ; >>Here comes the rain again.<<
Both Paris and Vienna and  Berlin, were the places to be, back in the  giddy pre –war Europe of 1914.

Life outside of the big Metropolises in Europe at that time, and generally speaking  -  was both suffocating and  boringly  provincial, to a degree of which today  - have little concept.
Therefore,   for anyone who had heard of the many colourful  rumours of, or was lucky enough to   visit -  let alone to have lived in a big city bustling  like Berlin that was bursting with energy and new ideas – well, that was modern  equivalent to  have visited the planet mars.

The picture is built up of  >>fragmented <<  memories and  images of  wide modern boulevards, with tall  urban facades  and sparkling shops and department stores, which are all  illuminated with electric powered crystal chandeliers.
It is a place that is infected with the smells  seductive perfumes  of many  people and  of aromas from   upmarket  bakeries, of  coffee and tearooms, of  loud, crowded, and raucous smoke filled bars, which accommodate  people who are  perhaps  promoting new ideas,  and where  in dark corners  - sinister figures huddle, to  whisper about  the needs  of creating a revolution, in order  to make a   new world order  - and a more level playing field  of equal opportunities for all people.

I do get the underlying message  in the image, however the reasons why the painting is not finished  - that is  beyond me.
For that reason - I suspect that a trip is needed in order to explore the  world of the big city salons of Europe at that time,  including the world of  Freud and Jung,  would  also be much advised.

Primarily, umbrellas at that time were also used to protect women’s  complexions from the  negative effects of sun, however these  instruments were also used to ward off the rain.
The painting, it   reflects a dream of  modern and very wide city streets with the latest vivid colours and fashions of the day, of  the modern  electric lighting on shops and  the streets – but also on the headlights of truck  in the distance.
However,  the  horse and carriage are but  fading reminders of a fading time -  as the  clear bright electric street lighting  contrast to the dismal grey and atrocious weather.
The bright  electric lighting, it that takes over  from the former  sulphurous yellow,  belonging to al of the  the  gloom,  which is a >>hallmark<< of  the fading world of Victorian  gas lighting and suffocating social conventions like those at Downton Abby on the T.V. series.

The grey rainy day and lack of any human resistance to the weather,  by using umbrellas and the  scale of people as compared to the  size and mass of the surrounding buildings,  is perhaps a deep  cry of anxiety and a deep rooted wish for change.

It brings to mind another cry, or  which was   painted by the Norwegian artist called Edvard Munch  in his famous work that was  painted in 1893,  which is  called > Skrieget<<  of that  a figure on a bridge - who is  screaming  loudly in a desperate and  silent  call for help.
The value ?
It is not valuable, at least not the terms of dollars and cents.
But financials are not everything, even though they  may  do their best to always appear to be so.
As an old teacher of mine, once explained to me;
Remember, it is better to have a good - but incomplete original, than a bad reproduction!

This work it is perhaps  more of an interior decorators item – it belongs more  in a modern trendy buzzing  bar,  or  a lively sandwich bar up  in the “village” of New York  - or someplace similar.
I can appreciate it   - and I  do get the message, incomplete as it is.
However, you need to be able to read between the lines and keep an open mind in order to understand and appreciate it.
All good messages, be it  art,  or any kinds of visual information, or even advertising  -  it  will always stand the test of time.
This is also one of those objects- incomplete it may be, but the fragments they tell of a much big bigger picture.

So, anytime you may happen to  be sitting at a sidewalk café and  are enjoying  a coffee,  please remember that you are already sitting in the picture!!!
I hope that this information is of some use to you, and very good luck with your painting in the future!
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.