Fine Art/Gihon ballerina painting

Hello Dolly, I have this painting of a ballerina and wondering if you can pinpoint the period made and if it was made by Clarence Montfort Gihon or one of his family members who are painters, as the signature looks like Clarence's. The back of canvas is a bit yellowed and nowhere near white which might indicate turn of century-1930s. Thanks

Dear Jill,

I did some research on Clarence Montfort Gihon and he was a landscape artist in Paris. His signature also does not match. This looks mid century; possibly late 1940's to 1950's. I checked for other artists with the last name Gihon and there are no artists that match this style. I may be reading the signature incorrectly, but this is the information I can give you based on the photographs and variations of the artist's last name. In your future research, consider using keywords that include "pin-up" as this style is reminiscent of mid-century examples that has a good collector base.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.