Fine Art/Pollock Authentication

Pollock Piece
Pollock Piece  

I am in the process of researching the best way to discover and authenticate a possible Jackson Pollock painting. The painting has excellent provenance to 1960 but then the trail goes cold. As you probably know the "experts" no longer authenticate such pieces because of law suites against them after the results do not meet the expectations of the owner of the piece. Have you got any ideas as to how one might get some sort of examination which will result in a definitive answer whether it is positive or negative?

The painting is 9" x 27" and appears to be oil on paper.

Mike Short,
Austin TX.

Dear Mike,

You did not mention if the painting was signed, (usually on the back). Either way I would market the painting with your existing provenance to the major auction houses. If they believe it can be authenticated they will take the lead. They have access to records that you or I do not. Eventually you will need their "buy in" to sell at authenticated Pollock prices. Christie's and Sotheby's have sold the majority of his paintings. They will have experts in Pollock who can review your painting and history. If you run in to a roadblock do research on the latest methods in painting identification. It is very expensive. Hopefully some day all major artist's paint "dna" and their fingerprints will be available for research without paying the high prices currently asked.

I hope you are successful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.