Fine Art/Painting identification request...

Question
Swans
Swans  

Swans
Swans  
Hello there, I'd like some help with a piece of artwork I recently inherited....

Known history is that it was originally owned by my Grandmother and hung in her Australian home in the 1950's.  It may well have been painted long before this however the origin is unknown.  It appears to be a 'print' of some sort, but impossible to know without pulling the piece apart!  We're also questioning whether the technology of colour printing existed in the early to mid 1900's!  The glass was replaced recently due to a breakage in transport from Perth to Melbourne.  The brass/gold frame is orignal.

We are also having trouble identifying the artists name, so we have also attached an image for your perusal.

Any assistance in identifying the piece,the title or any history would be much appreciated!  I have no intention of parting with the piece as it was handed down to my Mother and now to me, in fact I have a great fondness for it and just keen to know a little more as one day it will be passed on once again...

Kind regards

Sally Clifford

Answer
Dear Sally,
I am certain you have an original pastel on paper. Very nice work. I am having trouble making out the signature. Are there three separate words in the name? Australian swans are all black and I don't believe there are trumpeters or other white swans in the country so the artist may be European or North American. Let me know if you can read any of the letters on the signature and email to dolly12@aol.com. I will try to help you out if I can. Put allexperts Sally pastel swans in the subject line.
Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley