Fine Art/Luigi Lucioni Watercolor Original

Question
Luigi Lucioni Barns
Luigi Lucioni Barns  
Hello Dolly,
I have a signed original Luigi Lucioni watercolor of some Vermont Barns. I am trying to identify it and determine its approximate value. I have no provenance with it sadly.

Answer
Dear Alison,

You have a lovely watercolor painting by the artist. Luigi Lucioni did not paint with watercolors nearly as much as oils, and interestingly the ones I found auction examples of are mostly of rural landscapes; many with barns and silos.

There was one listed (without a photo) called Red Barns Across a Road. Others were listed as Vermont Gray Barn or just Vermont Barn. He obviously had a desire to paint New England barns and farms.

I cannot give you a name. Most of the time when you see a name such as the ones above, they were given by someone else and just used to describe the scene since many painters do not always formally name their paintings. Therefore you could name it, Red Barns in Green Pasture; or whatever description you feel fits it best. I wish there was a photo of the one called Red Barns Across a Road so that you can compare. However based on the watercolors I have seen of similar subject by Lucioni; and although not entirely easy to see the signature, once I enlarged your photo it looks appropriate.

Try searching with key words: Luigi Lucioni, barn, watercolor and there are images of his work. I cannot give you a current market value. The prices I see are either wholesale auction sales or pre-sale estimates by the auction house. Similar sizes and subject as yours appear to be very collectible. Red Barns Across a Road sold at auction for $1770 in 2013 with a pre-auction estimate between $3000-5000. Sounds like someone got a very good deal.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley