Fine Art/Please help identify

Banana Trees with Red Sun
Banana Trees with Red  

I have a print from my mother in laws estate that I quite love. I think it's a print, although it appears to be printed on thin fabric. I'd appreciate help knowing who the artist is. I haven't tried taking it out of the frame, as that's a little ambitious for me. I'm attaching photos of the print, and a closeup of the signauture. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Dear Jennifer,

I love it as well. What you have is a Batik. It is an original art piece that is basically created using wax and dye on cloth.I was not able to read the signature and I have not studied Batik artists. Try using Google on Batik artists and maybe you can find a similar style that will lead you to your artist. You can also learn more about the technique used to create your wonderful piece. Your mother in law may have purchased it while on holiday to areas that grow banana trees, such as South America or Africa.

I would not remove it from the frame as it appears to have nice framing and likely you will not find any more information by doing so. Enjoy it in your home. I love it's simplicity which is actually unique for batik.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.