Fine Art/Abrams Edition/Lithographs

Question
QUESTION: I was looking to purchase an etching from Picasso's Vollard Suite and figured I pay $20,000 or so for it. A couple of galleries have suggested I could purchase a hand signed lithograph of one of the Vollard Suite etchings from Abrams Edition Germany 1956 and pay about $1,000 - $2,000.  I tried looking to find information on Abrams Edition (I'm new to the art field) and couldn't find much.  I did find several places on-line that in fact sell alleged hand signed lithographs from Abrams Edition on the Vollard Suite etchings.  Does this sound legitimate or it it a scam?  Thanks for your input.

ANSWER: The last company that had a similar offer, has been closed and two of its top people are in jail.

There are no authentic Picasso works for $1,000.00 unless the seller has been living in a cave for the past 10 years.

Dan

QUESTION: Thanks for your quick reply.  I am grateful. As a follow up, were there hand signed lithographs of the Vollard Suite etchings made from Abrams Edition 1956?  If this is true, any idea what one could expect to pay for them?  Thanks again!
ANSWER: More research has to be done because the prices vary.

I just sold a Picasso lithograph, hand signed in 1947.
While I was able to negotiate down to $29,000.00 as a selling price, the appraiser felt it was worth quite a bit more.  The seller has to be willing to have the piece looked at by experts in advance.  The only down side for you, is that the appraiser might come back with a high value, causing the seller to change their selling price.

If your thinking about buying a Picasso at a very low price, I can tell you that most that do that are unhappy in the long run. Unless the seller claims to have owned the work from the start, you are taking a big chance.

I would suggest putting the few thousand dollars into a Dali with the proper paperwork for insurance etc.

Dan

QUESTION: I will look into Dali.  Thanks so much.  Were there known hand signed lithographs made of the Vollard Suite etchings from something called Abrams Edition 1956?  Thanks again

Answer
I understand where you are trying to go with your questions. I have seen the European Art Gallery listings online for Picasso works you mentioned, at low prices, some under 1K
Why then is no one in the art industry buying them and re-selling for high prices? Martin Lawrence Galleries charge high thousands for anything signed by Picasso. Remember the rule, "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"

I have a catalog with over 700 AUTHENTIC Dali works.  I will send you one for FREE if you want to start collecting fine art that has FUTURE value.

If you already bought the Picasso, I can send you to an art appraiser for correct paperwork.

Dan

Dan Twyman