Fine Art/Actual Chagall?

Question
I found a framed litho at a second-hand store. It is a real lithograph, not a
reproduction (I took it out of the frame to verify). Within the print is the
signature 'Chagall', but it was on the plate (not hand-signed). The image is of
a couple on a horse. The woman is holding a fan, the man has a violin. The
horse is white with blue hair and the man and woman both have blue hair.
The woman is in a pink dress and her breasts are exposed. There is a pencil
on the back of the number 6. It is a bit larger than 8 X10. It is a beautiful
print in soft colors. I was wondering if this image actually exists in the catalog
of his works or if I bought someone's attempt at a fake. I paid very little for it,
so I am interested to know either way. I'd be happy to send a photo if you'd
like.

Answer
If you have a photo lithograph, the signature is simply part of a photograph.  Plate signed would mean that the artist engraved his signature in the printing plate or a signature stamp was created etc.

There is always the possibility of a pen signature, but that has not been my experience when selling Chagall's works.  

If you are OK with paying fees, I can refer you to an appraiser.

Copy the text here so I have history and send reply to my email address at:
collectdali@aol.com

Dan

Dan Twyman