Fine Art/Appraisal of a painting

Question
I just purchased a painting at a rummage sale and would like to know how much it is worth. it is an oil painting of a train by Jack Coggins. I found a website started by his family (he just died in January 2006) someone in his family sent us an email picture of the title page of a book illustrated by Mr. Coggins that is identicalto our painting. The book is called "great Trains of the World" and our painting is a fanciful depiction of a train called Stevenson's Rocket in Great Britain. Can you help?
Thanks, Michelle

Answer
Michelle--I cannot find any info. on Coggins.  I suggest you ask a member of his family if they know any galleries that offer his work, or at least, carried it in the past.  You could then contact any galleries they give you and find out what they sold his work for; also, ask the family if they have any works for sale and what the prices are.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit