Fine Art/Arndt, Paul Wesley

Question
I own an oil on canvas painting (32" X 40"), titled "A Lady of the Court of Louis XlV", signed on the lower front  by Paul Wesley Arndt.  t was painted  between 1946 and 1951 (approx.) My mother, the model, said Mr. Arndt made the frame & gave this smaller framed painting to her for posing for a much larger version that he did on a scaffold. I also have a number of other paintings: 1 portrait, 8 landscapes. How can I establish values if I wish to donate these paintings to a museum?

Answer
Dear Chrys, Museums are very particular about what they accept as donations. A painting would have to fit the goals and direction of their collection without being a duplication. You would need written appraisals that follow the guidelines established by the IRS. And you will need to engage a qualified appraiser of paintings, one who has a set hourly fee for research (not a percentage of the value of the item or items).
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes