Fine Art/Art / Painting : Everett Woodson

Question
  I recently inherited a painting by Everett Woodson.  It is a 16x12 Oil on canvas painting with what looks to be an original frame.  The Painting itself is of a barn like lighthouse on some coast line with a small row boat in the water in an inlet off the coast.  Both the painting and frame look to be in great condition .  Also there is what looks to be some sort of certificate of authenticity  on the back with some numbers.  I was told that it could be worth some money and was wondering  if you could possibly give a ball park appraisal.  If not, is there a good place to take it in the Los Angeles area.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

P.S. if the numbers on the back would help please let me know.

Sincerely
Matt

Answer
Dear Matt, The certificate of authenticity with numbers has been a practice of very commercial art galleries the past few decades. Usually the more impressive the certificate the less impressive the artwork. This is a gimick used to relieve the "great unwashed" of their wallets.
If you think otherwise then follow my instructions below.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at damnfineart@yahoo.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.
Cordially,
Dan  

Daniel A. Hynes