Fine Art/Art appraisals

I live in Athens, GA which is about 50 miles North East of Atlanta. I have been collecting rare prints and originals for about 3 years now.  I often purchase pieces that I would like to have appraised for insurance/resale purposes. The problem is finding a reputable appraiser in the area. I have found many appraiser in the Atlanta area but have been unable to verify their credentials. Do you have any advice or a contact that would be able to provide me with a list of reputable appraisers in the area along with references?

Dear Keith, Prints are not in my area of expertise, but your question could apply to other fine art. First, letters behind an appraisers name (i.e. ASA, IAA, etc.) are not a guarantee of performance or integrity. Second, you should know up front how charges for research and documentation will be assessed. Do not agree to a percentage of the evaluation of your collection. I would suggest you ask major dealers of antique prints for a referal, such as: The Old Print Shop, NYC; Swann's Auction; Philadelphia Print Shop; etc. You can also inquire with the Print & Drawing Department at the High Museum, Atlanta.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.