Fine Art/Art appraisals

Question
I live in Athens, GA which is about 50 miles North East of Atlanta. I have been collecting rare prints and originals for about 3 years now.  I often purchase pieces that I would like to have appraised for insurance/resale purposes. The problem is finding a reputable appraiser in the area. I have found many appraiser in the Atlanta area but have been unable to verify their credentials. Do you have any advice or a contact that would be able to provide me with a list of reputable appraisers in the area along with references?

Answer
Sorry I can't help.  Check with a few prominent galleries, and go with your own feeling, like when picking a lawyer or doctor who hasn't been referred.  Good luck.  alan.

Note:  Alan Klevit's latest book, "Art Collecting 101," is now available.  Check it out at www.booklocker.com.  

Alan Klevit