Fine Art/Artist Identification

From my mother's estate, I received a 19-1/2 x 27-1/2 oil painting on canvas signed S----- a(?)------.  The subject is an island in the middle of a lake with snow-covered mountains in the background framed by pine trees in the foreground.  The artist juxtaposed heavily textured mountains and trees with smooth and reflective water.  On the back, parts of a very aged and brittle tag read "Nr. 2808, Kunstmaler: Gundel (next word torn off), Motiv: Eilesee mit Lugspitze . . ."  I have found a German translation of "Hurrying Lake with Peep-Pointed . . ."  I would appreciate your input in identifying this artist.  

Dear Kathryn,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don't include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.