Fine Art/Artist identification

Oil on canvas, approximately 32" x  24", in ornate gold frame stamped "Austria."
Conservator stated date was approximately 1873.
Shepherd is carrying baby sheep and walking among
herd of sheep before an approaching storm. Stormy gray sky, sparce green trees/shrubs in background.  Brown ground.

Signature is imprecise as first letter of last name is not certain. Also, the "u" may be an incomplete "o."   ? H. Yulbrig, H. Lulbrig,
H. Julbrig, H. Fulbrig.  The genre is very similar
to one listed on Artnet - Kunstler which artist is
H. Solbrig.  The sheep are drawn the same way. Might there be a way to verify what H. Solbrig's painting signature looked like?  The signature on painting is on lower left.

Would you know what the H. in H. Solbrig stands for?

Painting was purchased in N.Y.C. ca 1916.  Thank you much.  

Dear Linda,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.