Fine Art/Artist information

I was wondering if you can help me identify the artist of a painting.  My Grandmother passed away this past fall and left me a painting of an Italian looking seaside town.  I say Italian looking because I have been told it is of Sardinia.  The painting is 24" high by 48" wide.  I do not know much about paintings but it is definately a painting on canvas not a print.  The artists signiture is "Armando".  If you could tell me how, I will send you a picture of the painting.

I am not sure of the date of the painting and if it is not within your range, I understand but I would appreciate if you could point me in a direction to find the information I am looking for.

Thank You for your time,

Jack Rosentel

Dear Jack, Armando is a very common name and usually a first name. I am afraid you will never find an appropriate listing for the artist. What you have is most likely a department store (or what is also known as a factory) painting. For the past 40 years these decorative works have been produced in Eastern Europe, the Pacific Rim, etc. The canvas is actually passed from hand to hand. One artist paints mountains, another trees, another figures, and so on. A name is picked out of a book and signed to the painting, and usually a single name, something very generic that cannot really be identified.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.