Fine Art/Asian artist Mar Mar

Question
In the 1940's, my mother purchased a large (20" x 18")ink drawing (white ink on black paper) of an elderly chinese? man.  He's wearing a cap, has a long pigtail (I think it's called a queue?) and is smoking a pipe.  The drawing is signed "Mar Mar".  I'm curious if this is a known/listed artist and how I might determine its value.  Thank you.

Answer
Bill--unfortunately, there is no compendium of all known listed artists, only the top ones of the day often shown in some publications.  Certainly nothing from 60 years ago in China, which is a shame, but the truth of the matter.  I have books of many great artists and access to auction records of those sold internationally and can find no reference to "MarMar."  That does not mean he was not a top artist of his time, only is not in vogue now.  You could offer the piece to an auction house and if he is a sellable known name, they would tell you and estimate value, if you were to offer to sell it through them.  Good luck.  Alan.

Alan Klevit