Fine Art/Background information sought

Hi Daniel - I live in the UK and have acquired a watercolour by an artist called Charles Lane is dated is titled "Study of Flowers" and has a gardener leaning over inspecting a potted plant and three gentlemen characters peering over the garden wall with a black cat's face peering over's rather comical.  I wonder if you know of this artists work?  If you can help at all I would be grateful or point me in the right direction of where I can do some research.  Many Thanks John

Dear John, I have looked through numerous dictionaries of artists' names and find no Charles Vicary, in fact I found only one Vicary. Edith M. Vicary (Mrs.F. Bulteel)known to exhibit from 1901 to 1914 at the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool; the Royal Institute of Oil Painters; the Royal Academy; the Dudley Gallery; and the Society of Women Artists. It seems that she was from the Devon area. It is possible your artist was related. Another possibility is that your artist was a magazine illustrator. Illustrators were often considered lesser artists and often not included in listings of artists.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.