Fine Art/Books on Artists

Question
In one of your answers you mention that there are several artists named Pascal.  I am wondering if you could recommend a book or books on artists for begining painting hunters.  

I like to thrift shop and I would like to know how to tell artists signatures and be able to know about various artists.  Would you recommend who's who in art books or something else?

Sincerely,

Gina M Palmisano

Answer
Dear Gina, Like law books, art reference books are very expensive. The most basic book I would recommend would be "Davenport's", it has brief biographies and prices on American & European artists. For more complete biographies on American artist, the 3 volumes of "Who Was Who in American Art". There are many signature and monogram books, but I seldom find them usefull as their examples are mostly the famous artists we don't run into. The best source for art reference books: http://www.dealerschoicebooks.com/
regards,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes