Fine Art/Just Bought & Read

I just read your new book, and thank you for all of the information that it provided!  I have always loved art, and am just at a point in my career (making enough money) that I have started to collect.

I have some quick questions, if you don't mind answering them for me.  First, what do you think about the current art auctions on cruise ships?  I just got back from my first cruise, and purchased a few pieces.  I was on the Carnival Miracle, where Park West Gallery was the seller.

Second, I have 4 giclees (as I see now may be unfortunate).  Are they considered original if the artist hand embellishes the work after coming off the ink process?  I have two Stephen Shortridges, one Tomasz Rut, and one Hua Chen.  You can see that my favorite is impressionists works.  If they are not considered originals, then how does one collect original impressionists works, and/or the works of today's artists?

Finally, do you have a list of reputable dealers so that I can keep my eye on some master's works?  The more I learn, the more I grow an appreciation for their work, and would like to expand beyond impressionist works.

Any advice would be great!  Thank you for writing this book, as it has been of great help to my lack of knowledge!!

Shannon--First, thanks for buying the book, and I am pleased you got something out of it--and congrats on your interest in art.

Interestingly, I was one of the first auctioneers on cruise ships [on a guest basis] and trained many of the auctioneers in the early to mid 90s.  You know from my book that most of the artists offered are 'artists of the day,' that is, popular, talented, but not likely to be investment style.  That said, Park West is very reputable, been around at least 35 years, and offers fair prices.  Giclees are what they are, and many dealers consider them original.  I'm just "old school."  The hand embellishment certainly makes them unique.  There are no original lithographs around, with a handful of exceptions, by the original impressionists, and they are pricey.  You could contact Sotheby's and determine if they have any coming at auction.  I am reluctant to list dealers publicly.  However, if you contact me at, I would be willing to talk to you [after August 20, as I am going on vacation].  Congratulations again for your love of fine art.  Alan Klevit.

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University