Fine Art/Buffet, Le Canal lithograph

Question
I have a numbered lithograph of Bernard Buffet's Le Canal. This is signed in the upper left corner with his name followed by 55. The info on the back of the painting states: ( below an official looking eagle seal )NO. 8064, Article: Picture, MFG. Catalda, Finish: Buffet, Le Canal, then a #50635 at the bottom. Price marked $99.95. This painting was bought by a family member in the late 1950's or early '60's. Can you tell me it's value? Thanks.

Answer
I don't think you have a painting. You probably have a limited edition lithograph that is signed in pencil or signed in the stone. I see them for sale in various galleries in the 1500.00 to 3500.00 range, and various other prices of course.

Bernard Buffet was an acclaimed artist by the age of twenty on account of his distinctive style and apparent talent. He worked as a painter, etcher, lithographer, designer, and sculptor and produced religious pieces, landscapes, portraits and still-lifes. Buffet’s work had a consistent somber mood that seemed to represent the atmosphere of the post-war period. His success skyrocketed in the 1950’s, and he then received an overflow of commissions. Consequently, his work took on a more decorative approach and lost the impact that made him famous in the first place. Buffet committed suicide in 1999.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Dan Twyman