Fine Art/Carlos Ruano LLopis painting... is it a fake?

I just purchased a painting at a store near my house of a matador. The woman who owns the shop said that an elderly man came in with a bunch of things from spain and gave it to her cheaply. The painting is signed C. Ruano Llopis in the corner. I can tell it was actually painted, but I am not sure how to tell is someone just copied his work and signed his name or not. It is obviously very old on canvas nailed to a wooden frame thats falling apart. Were reproductions of his work very common like this 50 years ago? What is your opinion?
Thank you for your help!

Dear Ann,

I hope you are doing well. You ask for my opinion on possible authenticity of your Carlos Ruano Llopis painting and since I am not an expert on his work and cannot inspect it personally; I am afraid a personal opinion is all that I can give you.

One of the first things I do when researching a painting is to compare it with known works by the artist. I ask, is it a known genre, style, medium, etc? I also check the signature for comparison. After reviewing his previous auctions, it appears he did sign his work as “C. Ruano Llopis” as with your painting. You also mention the obvious aging of the canvas and this would be consistent with work done prior to 1950 when the artist died.

If you were asking me if it could possibly be a real Picasso or Monet, I would tell you it is highly unlikely. However, I don’t believe another artist would copy Llopis’s paintings AND sign his name. Many artists will copy the work of another artist, but then sign their own name and often attribute to the original creator. The reason I believe this painting is original is that the elements are consistent with his work and his paintings are not of tremendous commercial value at this time. Therefore, my opinion is that if indeed it is an original painting and in the same style and manner of Llopis, it is likely an original by the artist.

Most recent average auction prices on his original paintings range from $1000-3000.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.