Fine Art/Cassius Marcellus Coolidge

I have 2 paintings both by Coolidge and they are of dogs playing poker...  I know that recently a pair of these paintings were sold at an auction for quite a bit of money.  I was wondering how you can tell if they are real or fake.  they both are signed, but above the signature there looks to be a stamp --- B & B  St. Paul..  My feeling is they are a copy.  Please let me know. Thanks for your help

Dear John,
What you have are probably two of the hundreds of thousands of prints made after his paintings. I have no anticipation that your works are original. If you want to spend your time send the following.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.