Fine Art/Chagall's Daphis and Chloe Suite

A gallery I recently visited has several lithographs from the Daphis and Chloe Suite of Chagall.  They are from the 1977 Braziller edition, but they a signed in crayon by Chagall.  The gallery owner has a photo of the original owner of the pictures along with Chagall signing them.  He is listing them, framed, for around $2,000, for the smaller ones, some a bit more.  Online I see similar things that are pencil signed for around $1,250 (unframed).  And, of course, the Deluxe edition goes for more than ten times more.  I also understand that there is another edition (I believe of 250).  So, as someone new to the art market, I am confused.  I would appreciate any help you can give in helping me sort all this out, including any information on the different editions.  Also, specifically, if the pictures I looked at at the gallery seem to be in a reasonable price range.  I love Chagall, but we are talking about what I would consider a significant expense.  Thanks much!

The prices are too low.

Watch out for unauthorized editions of the masters these days.  There are a number of individuals that are selling low priced Picasso, Chagall, Miro, Dali and others. As an example, there is a company that has Chagall works between $25,000.00 and $80,000.00 for hand signed limited edition prints. How can anyone sell similar or the same pieces for $1200.00?  With the new Giclee process, printers can duplicate any work of art and make it look authentic.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.