Fine Art/Chagall Lithograph III

Question
Dear Alan,
As someone new to the area of fine art collecting - I have always enjoyed the museum exhibits and have many exhibit catalogues - I am not very familliar with the actual purchase of fine art.
My 20th wedding anniversary is coming up and I wanted to buy a Chagall piece for my wife - I found a piece that fits the bill and am considering buying it for her as an anniversary present - problem is that I have no idea if I am paying an appropriate price for the piece - as you have said in your postings - if I may summarize - "if it seems to be too good to be true it probably isn't true"

The piece I am looking at is a hand signed copy of the cover of the Lithograph III collection. The work in red with a man and woman's head in the center and the name Chagall on the top right and "Lithographe III" in the bottom right. I am sure you are familliar with the Lithograph.

The asking price is $1380 - again  I am not looking for a bargain, but just want to pay a fair price for this gift -

I have enjoyed reading your posted replies and have learned a great deal so far - unfortunatley I am sure I have much much more to learn.

Thanks and I look foreward to hearing from you -
Best wishes,
Dan

Answer
Dear Daniel,
I am very familiar with the piece and know that several thousand "extras" were made besides for the cover of Volume III.  My problem is that, to the best of my memory, I do not recall ever seeing ANYWHERE in the Cat. Raisonee that Chagall signed any of them. If he did, $1,380 is a fair price.  I am on vacation until Oct. 7 and would gladly check further upon my return and answer you again, if you wish.  You can write me at alantheartmaven@hotmail.com and give me you email address.  You could ask the dealer to show you in any catalog that some of those were signed, if you can't wait.  Alan.

Alan Klevit