Fine Art/Chagall - Paris Opera

Question
I recently bid and won a silent auction for what was described as a limited edition, plate-signed lithograph of Marc Chagall's "Paris Opera". When I asked for a COA I was fist told it wasn't available, then I was referred to the auctioneer. He told me by phone that he could give me a COA if I tell him the number on the painting. He explained that the COA only certifies the medium. When I asked about the limited addition number, he said that this means that this is one of 500 lithographs produced in this "run" He said that a pubisher owns the plate and he has no way of knowing if there were other runs of this paticular work. This all sounded a little suspect to me. Can you enlighten me?
Also, a gallery art director told me that Chagall never signed any of his plates. Do you know if this is true?
I won this auction with the minimum bid of $600, but I have the opportunity to back out if I want to.

Answer
Mark--I am not aware of any "plate signed" Chagall plates, either.  As for Paris Opera, a lithograph edition was created, based on the ceiling of the Paris opera House.  I can't find anything on it, but my recollection is that more like 5000 were created, not 500.  Although $600 sounds a little steep, I am not familiar with that market, having been out of it a few years.  A few years ago, I saw them in the $200 range.  It could sell for a little more now.  If you love it and it is for a good cause, you might say what the heck.  It's up to you.
Alan.

Alan Klevit