Fine Art/Chagall and Picasso

Hi,  I am interested in purchasing a Chagall or Picasso signed lithograph.  In
my search for the perfect piece, I have become a bit overwhelmed at how
many countless vendors there are with significantly varying prices, ranging
from on-line to art galleries and prices from $1300-$7,000. I read one article
saying that a signed lithograph from these artists has a true value of $100
and a gallery mark up of forty times it's worth  How can I be certain of the
authenticity of and a fair price for a signed lithograph?    Are there any
general guidelines I should follow, resources, things to be aware of or
average price range?  Thank you, Danielle Sears

From my experience, the broker I work for is one of the only ones that will send works out in advance and get expert opinions from the few people qualified to examine a Picasso or Chagall.

The prices you mention are common for FAKE art. I sold a 1947 Picasso called "Owl Against a White Background" for 29K, I was told this was a low price and the appraisal came back with a much higher value.  "Meal at Dryas House" by Chagall sold 7 years ago for $12,500.00, so today it would be 25K or higher. There has always been "knock off" art and prob always will be. The same applies to all industries, there are imitations and then the real thing.  I can get the real thing, but you will need at least 20K just to get started.  Dali is the best buy right now. There are pieces that have been examined by outside experts that can verify watermarks etc. Prices start at $1299.00 and go to 60K, for hand signed original lithographs, etchings and engravings.  Some drawings are also available.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.