Fine Art/Chagall Serigraph - Real or Fake?

Question
Hi Alan,  I think I may have asked you about this last year, and now I have additional info about it.

I am trying to authenticate and price a Chagall piece I have inherited that was created in 1926. It is 16 x 20” and appears to be a serigraph – with magnification you can see the fine weave of the silkscreen. It is NOT a lithograph, there are no dots.  The picture VERY closely resembles the engraving "The Miller his son and the donkey" with slight compositional variations. The colors:  the donkey and the dress of the woman are green. The man on the right is wearing red hat and red pants. The man on the left of the donkey is wearing brown with a white hat. And the man on the far left is in white. The middle ground is lavender.  The pencil marking on my piece says 60/109. The Chagall signature, with the year '26  is ink printed (not hand-signed in pencil) and nearby there is a gold embossed decorative word which I cannot make out but I have photos of this detail and the entire image that I could email if I could find the “attach” button.  Thanks so much for your help.  Sharon

Answer
Sharon,  I am not familiar with the image.  However, I know for certain that Chagall NEVER did a serigraph, nor authorized anyone else to do one of his works.  His paper print portfolio is exclusively stone lithography and intaglio [etching].  And the edition of 109 is suspect, too.  I doubt its validity.  You could call Sotheby's and say you want to put it in one of their auctions, and take it from there.

Alan Klevit