Fine Art/Chagall litho - Die Reiterin

Question
I am trying to determine the value of a Chagall lithograph (I think it's a lithograph) that my father bought in Paris about 44 years ago (1962 or 1963) for about $250. The only thing I've been able to find is a similar image entitled "Die Reiterin" (Equestrian), a painting shown in a couple of the Te Neues Chagall 2007 calendars. The image is of a woman in a red dress with exposed breasts, holding a fan, and on a horse with a man with his arm around her kissing her.

Other than that I found an etching with drypoint on the Southeby's web site. The piece we have is numbered in pencil in the lower left hand corner 105/375. Is it possible this is a Sorlier "after"? Chagall's signature appears to be part of the lithograph rather than in pencil. The greys from the painting appear more as blue hues in our piece. If you can help us put a value to this piece it would be of great help.  

Answer
Ming--All of the Charles Sorlier 'afters' are lithographs pulled from stones created by Charles based on Chagall paintings.  He did not re-create Chagall's signature.  If it is in the image--part of it--the piece you have must be a reproduction.  It is of dubious value, as there is no way it is from an edition of 375.  At best, it is worth your father paid for it.  It is a lovely image so just enjoy it.  Alan Klevit

Check out Alan's latest book, "Art Collecting 101," at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit