Fine Art/Another Chagall question :-)

Question
A few years ago, I inherited a litho.
It is in a folder mat with the tag at the bottom from the Ferdinand Roten Galleries
it has c-65-89 (what's that?)
then:
Chagall, Marc
Couverture 1965, M435
Color Litho, Large Edition

The print is about 4.5 x 8.5 inches on heavy paper and looks like it was cut with a box knife (one side is curved). It is not signed or numbered anywhere except for that "c-65-89" is written in pencil on the back top.
The last time I tried to find something out about it (five years ago), I found a litho that resembled it but today I can't find it anywhere.
So - the questions --
1. could it be an authentic Chagall?
2. Should I get it out of the mat it is in and put it in something archival?
3. How can I find out if it is really a Chagall.
4. Yeah, and if it is, a guestimation of the value would be nice too.
Thanks for being so helpful in all your other post!
Oh, and I checked and I didn't see any little dots under magnification.

Thanks,
Denise

Answer
Dear Denise:  The piece was done in 1965.  Its catalog number is M. [for Mourlot] 435.  It was pulled in an edition of 75 numbered and pencil-signed pieces.  There is no indication in the Mourlot Catalog that a large edition was ever done.  The work was the basis for M.435a, slightly larger and with a border, which was used for a Catalog [not of Chagall works].  Perhaps they printed an over run beyond the covers needed for the catalog, although there is no mention in my catalog.  The size is right.  The c-65-89 might be a gallery inventory reference, as it certainly is not something Chagall, Mourlot or Chagall's publisher would have used.  Since you note that the paper is heavy, perhaps you have an actual cover that was cut down.  In any event, I seriously doubt it has investment value, especially cut, even if it were a real lithograph.  You might want to reframe it, float it with wide margins and make it look "important."  I happen  to think it is a lovely image of Marc and his wife, Bella.  Enjoy.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit