Fine Art/Chagall stone lithograph

Question
QUESTION: Good morning! I have a stone lithograph pencil signed by Marc Chagall on the lower right with the initials E.A. in the lower left. It measures 11x15. I have a certificate of authenticity signed by Franz Meyer dated June 14th 1988. It says it was produced in 1975 from th3 SPADEM edition and is an illustration from the Odyssey. Can you tell me if it is real since the size seems to indicate it is from the 1989 edition rather than the 1975 edition and what the value might be?  Thank you.

ANSWER: Dr. Delit--the official Chagall catalog only lists the original stone lithographs created in 1975-1975 as original lithographs.  Different size, as you note.  No record of any artist proofs [ea] or Chagall signing a 1989 edition, which certainly had to be reproduced from different stones than the one Chagall did.  Chagall died in 1985.  Finally, if the piece is an illustration from the book, those were not signed, nor marked.  Too many questions for my taste.  I wouldn't buy it for a song.  That's me!.  Good luck.  Alan.

QUESTION: Thank you for your prompt and courteous reply. I remeasured the lithograph and it is 11 5/8" x 14 5/8". My ruler might not be 100% on the money, but it is extremely close. Are those measurements of the 1975 issue? The piece is in fact a stone litho on arches velin paper. Thank you

Answer
The original lithographs [1974-75] were 42 X 33 cm--approx. 16.6 X 13.2 inches, printed on large Arches Wove paper, 1/250 edition plus twenty copies in Roman numerals, plus 30 copies for the Artist, numbered, on Japon nacreous paper.  NO ea's.  No Arches Velin.  My skepticism remains.  Even if stones were redrawn, certainly not by Chagall, in the mid-eighties, especially after he died!  Alan.

Alan Klevit