Fine Art/Claudio Coello

In a Coello painting (1685)."Santo Domingo de Gúzman", in the lower left is dog with a burning stick in its mouth.  What does this image symbolize?  Is it some sort of Christian symbol?

Hi Richard
Not really  my field but I hope this helps

Alike many other medieval saints lives, Santo Domingo's also begins with a legend.Jordano of Sajonia, Domingo's successor as the Order's Master writes on "Briefing on tbe Order's Beginnings". Before bis conceptioD, bis motber had a vision ofherselfbearing in herwomb a puppy that beld on its snout a burning torch and the puppy seemed to bum tbe whole earth once it had been dropped ftom'the womb. Some pages later, Jordano describesa similar vision: "be dreamt of bis son bearing balf a moon on bis forehead," and Jordano added, "tltis was the prediction that Domingo wouId be the ligbt of the gentiles to en1ight those living in darkness and under the shadow of deatb." Both legends pertain to the oldmedieval system related to heroes' childhood: its later gestes are preannounced ftom dievery birth or ftom bis childhood. The legend of the dog carryiog a buming torch bas been part of the Order bistory as the Latin phrase Domini Cqpes , tbe dogs of the Lord and thename Dominicans have made the dog and the torch tbe symbol of both the order and its members. Both tbe ordr masters as tbe popes and cardinals coming ftom tltis order adopted tbe symboI. Something similar happened with tbe balf moon legend and its interpretation. The ligbt of the gentiles referred to by Jordano of Sajonia became atwinlding star and characteristic feature of the works of art portrayiog Santo Domingo.Historians accept Jordano's statement that Domingo was bom on Caleruega village; othersources mention its real name was Guzman. His father was Felix Guzmán and bis motber's house was Aza. Both families belonged to Castillian heir nobility and owned majorproperties 00 the vicinity and oeariog Caleruega area. This place designated by Jordano as a''village'' has been preserved to this day and age even if a Dominican contemplation conventand later on a Dominican mooastery were built, the later oearby the fortified tower. Domingo was bom in this tower 00 1170 or 1171 circa. We barely know anything about bisfamily or childhood. We ooly koow he had several siblings and he was the only one who joined tbe Dominican Order.
Page 10
HOSTERÍA DE SANTO DOMINGOThe great kitchen is full, there is joy, celebration and happiness; tire ritual and ceremony on the cooking stove. Heated up saucepans and pots all are stirred up. The ringing of copper and clay, the metate and poteny mortars hitting one against the other. grinding rollers and tejolotes; glasses, cups and bottles clinking.Proud and welcoming tbe Hostería de Santo Domingo resumes the gala of the old city ofpalaces with the joyous protocol and refined tradition created by Doña Guadalupe PerezSan Vicente. They are the historical-gastronomical treats of the Historie Center!In this exhuberant space of memory and longings, a deep friendship inunersed in the art ofliving the old city in a complex inteUectual honeycomb that harmonizes knowledge andflavoUT, activities and culture.A pintoresque oasis filled witb surprise, quarries and a building where the beam woods, justas today, show a conglomerate of pierced paper and whose waUs bear the scenes of fondmemones.Gallant angel s welcome you to the cockles on sheU sanctuary; profuse delicate ftagances.colorful compliments. sublime and nostalgic melodie contours waking up the senses imagination.The menu deeoration, creation of Gomez Rosas. also known as "The Hotentote" shows the culinary world of Old Mexico. Quelite, casseroles and turkey, joined in the dominican cross and the dog that lit Santo Domingo in the nighí.The tre 1t details give shape to OUT identity: essential prehispanic elements coro, bean and chili.All of hem have gone a long way and together they have given way to the splendid mestizocwsmlEng. José Luis Curiel Monteagudo.
Page 11
"HISTORY OF TBE CHILI WITH NOGADA"According to bistOlY, on August 24th. 1821, Don Agustín de Iturbide signOO the Treatyof Córdoba while he was the commander of the Trigarante Anny and on bis return toMexico City, he visited the city ofPuebla on August 28th that same year.In order to pay their respect 10 such an important visitor, the Santa Monica convent nuns created a dish symbolizing the national trigarante flag colours and thus they carne up with the Chili with Nogada.Green (standing for hope) symbolized by poblano chiliWhite (standing for religion) symboljzOO by the Castillian nut sauceRed (standing for uníon) symbolized by the pomegranateOn March 1823, Agustin de lturbide was oustOO. He remainOO in power for onIy 10 months (ftom May 20th, 1822 to March 20th, 1823) and he was shot on JuIy 18th. 1824.From then on, Puebla always remembers the visit of then commander and emperor Agustínde Iturbide and on August 28th the Chili with Nogada fair is held evety year.CurrentIy you can taste this exquisite dish 00 Mexico City each and every day of the year 00 the Cathedra1 of the Chilis with Nogada , another name given to this restaurant as this isthe house's specialty.
Page 12
SANTO DOMINGO SQUARE In the big old Santo Domingo Square we find importantfigures of Mexican history such as the public scribes also caIled evangelists and that areusually found in Santo Domingo porticos.This square is one ofthe most beautiful and best preserved squares in the city.In colonial times this square was considered the second main square of the capital. 115 importance is based on the Santo Domingo' s big convent but it increased when otherspiritual and trading institution buildings -such as the customs office and tbe HolyInquisition- for tbe viceroy were founded in this arca.This evoking square has been the stage for severa1 holidays of the Old Mexico such aslavish Good Friday processions, exhuberant receptions for new viceroys, major religious ceremonies and many popular expressions; aII of them were given room in tbis old evokingsquare.The original outline of tbis square was conceived by the dominicans who after taking the 1015 where the convent would be erected, decided to leave a large surface ftee to hold their religious ceremonies.Santo Domingo Square outlining was not included in the original Mexico City arrangementmade by Alonso García Bravo.As time went by the square has been through some changes as one time there were used clotbing and alcoholic beverages stands tbat adversely altered tbe view; later on tbe surfacewas covered with stones and a circular fountain was built. This fount¡in also had a trough that poured water over four channels and it was crowned witb an eagle standing on apricldy pear cactus.By tbe end of the 1 century the square invaded again but now by tbe Orrin brothers Circus who beguiled tbe citizens with all of their acrobatics until 1889 when the Major' s office relocated them.One year after tbis circus was relocated, tbe fountain with the eagle was relocated on Leandro Valle street and the statue of Queretaro' s corregidora -that can still be seen today-replaced tbe fountain.

Gari Phillips

My main field of knowledge is the Baroque and Renaissance periods.

I have travelled extensively to view and appreciate many aspects of art. I have a considerable collection of publications from my fields of interest.

I am self taught and am still fuelling my fascination.