Fine Art/Cleaning fine art

Question
So my family has been doing the right thing over the last 4 decades of simply lightly dusting them and trying to keep them out of direct sunlight?

I live very near a freeway and I'm concerned there is now a layer of freeway exhaust over them which saddens me because they are truly fine potraits of the era.
-------------------------

Followup To

Question -
I have 2 old portraits from probably the early to mid 1800's. They are in desperate need of restoration but I'm wondering what I can do to clean them and keep them from deteriorating further until I can afford to get them restored professionally?

Answer -
Dear Debbie, Anything you do could permanently damage your paintings.
Cordially,
Dan

Answer
Dear Debbie, You should find the painting conservators in your area. Inquire with a curator of paintings at a museum (they often recommend the most expensive)or with a dealer or gallery that sells older paintings. If your portraits need cleaning only it may not be very expensive.
regards,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes