Fine Art/Currier & Ives Litho

I have a currier & Ives Litho  it is 13 1/2 by 17 3/4 in size it reads The, Road-Winter it is signed in the bottom left corner, O Knirsch, Lith. the far right hand corner reads Lith. of N. Currier N.Y the center reads Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1853, by N.Currier in the Clerks Office of the District Court of the Southern District of N.Y and under this fine print reads THE ROAD,- WINTER. It came in a large envelope that reads A gift for you from Currier & Ives please let me know if this is a original also in far right corner in margine in read Litho in U.S.A.

Dear Rita,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for your question. The print you have is a vintage reproduction of the original lithograph by Nathaniel Currier, founder of Currier and Ives.

There are many reproductions of Currier prints and the size you mention is fairly common. One recently sold on EBay for $45.00 in a vintage frame.

The reason I am certain you do not have an original pull from 1853 is the size. Currier and Ives released over 7000 images during their printing history. Most were released in small folios (image area about 8" x 10"-12"). There were also medium folios (image area about 9"-10" x 13"-19"), and large folios (over 14" x 20"). There are rare small folios that are less than 7"x 9.

The image The Road-Winter by N. Currier, published in 1853 was released in the large folio size and measured approximately 19 3/4x28 3/8. Since each print was issued in one size, not in several different sizes, any print of this image that is not the size of the original release must be a reproduction.

An original The Road-Winter sold for $22,000 at auction in 2004, and commands even higher on the retail market.

There are some very fine vintage reproductions and your print will continue to be collectable as the older prints begin disappearing from the market.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.