Fine Art/Currier & Ives Print Titled : The Road,-Winter

Question
I read a previous question on this same print. I too have a print of this picture. The size of mine is 8"x12". The right corner below the picture
says Lith of N. Currier.  The right corner says O.
Knirsch Lith. Below the title of the picture it says-Published by N. Currier, 152 Nassau St. New York. Right underneath the picture in very small writing it says-Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year of 1853, by N. Currier in the clerk's office in the District Court of Southern District of NY. This print is pretty faded and color is drab. It obviously was framed differently at one time because there are straight lines that are very yellow around the picture. It is in pretty good condition except for some yellowing and fading. I have read and done a lot of reading and looking the last 2 days and feel that this is an authentic piece. On the cardboard back is an inscription where somebody gave this to another person for a 14th anniversary gift and that is dated 1934. I do not really want to take the back off to feel the paper. Even after reading about the process of making these prints it still seems rather redundant to say that this print in an origial. When it really is a print. I don't know anything about art but I am very excited. I went to a local farmers auction and bought a box with 2 prints in it and a aerial picture of somebody's farm. My question is- What is your opinion? And what should I do? I live in the country and their are quite a few antique dealers around here but I really don't think any are qualified to give an estimate on this picture. I would so appreciate any advice or opinions of yours. And thank you so much. Sincerely, Mary Ann Pimm

Answer
Dear Mary Ann,

I hope you are doing well. I'm afraid that as with the other collector, your Nathan Currier print of The Road, Winter cannot be an original as it is in the small folio size range and the original was done as a large folio,( measuring approximately 19 3/4x28 3/8). Since each print was issued in one size, not in several different sizes, any print of this image that is not the size of the original release must be a reproduction. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley