Fine Art/Currier & IvesPrint

I have acquired a framed Currier & Ives print entitled "American Homestead Winter". On the bottom left corner of the print it says "Pubd by Currier & Ives". The bottom center says "Entered according to Act of Congress AD1869, by Currier & Ives in the Clerks Office of the District Court of the United States for the Southern District of New York". The bottom right says "152 Nassau St NY". Can you tell me the meaning of these words and if there is any value to this print?  Thank you.

Dear Kenneth,

I hope this finds you well. The Currier and Ives print titled "American Homestead Winter" is one of four prints representing the seasons, and is arguably one of the most popular small folio sets ever published by Currier & Ives. The information on your print identifies that it is published by Currier & Ives and copywrited in 1869. The Nassau street address represents the location of their store at the time of the release of this print.

An original lithograph of this image must be in the small folio size which is 8 x 12.8 inches for this print. This size is the image size, not the size of the sheet of paper. It should also show signs of being hand colored. Any other size is a later reproduction. A lithograph of American Homestead Winter from the original release in 1868-1869 has a recent wholesale auction range of a couple of hundred dollars, depending on condition.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.