Fine Art/Dali

Question
May I follow up by saying, thank you first anf foremost. Then may I also ask what you feel is a good Dali investment?
Best,
Linda
-------------------------------------------
The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
Let me preface my question by sating that I am and absolute novice. I am interested in purchasing a Dali lithograph. I have visited a few galleries and am not sure how to gauge authenticity. What should I look for. In particular I have been looking at the Devine Comedy collection. Thank you.
-----Answer-----
Linda--I admire your frankness.  Although there are many fake Dali lithographs out there, the Divine Comedy pieces, which are woodcuts [not lithographs] are not among them.  In all likelihood, the piece should be unsigned [except in the image]--no pencil or ink signature--and not numbered.  Buy only what you love, as their are a few thousand suites, each containing 100 images, which makes for a huge universe of pieces, making their investment value limited.  And spend in the hundreds, not thousands, for any piece you like.  Hold fast on that.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com, and THE ART BEAT at Amazon.com.

Answer
Linda--the safest bet is a lithograph produced before 1970, and listed in the Dali Catalog Raisonee.  Be adament for that information.  Etchings from the 1930s and '40s are also good, but they are pricey [thousands of dollars].  I think it is difficult for a novice to enter the Dali market, unless the galleries you visit have impeccable credentials and reputation.  Good luck.  Alan.

Alan Klevit