Fine Art/Dali Divine Comedy woodcut prints

Question
Sorry to keep asking questions; after this I think I will be done. I like the artwork, but I just want to make sure I am not getting ripped off. I will definitely check out your book before I make any decisions. Can you explain why the COA is irrelevant in this case? Also, they clam to have a Block Engraved Signature. Is that reasonable? They claim to be Les Heures Claires from 1960-1964. Is there any chance that they are not actually fakes, but from another printing?

Thanks,
Chris Hawkins
-------------------------------------------
The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
Thank you for the response. Really, there are no fake prints out there at all? Are there many of these woodcut prints available, because one of the eBay sellers is selling many of them and almost all of them are going for only a few hundred dollars. Is there anything I should look for in the certificate of authenticity and should it have a letter of authenticity from the Dali Archives? One of the auctions concerned me because the COA was from Park West Galleries and the title of the print was listed as Divine Comedies rather than the title of the individual piece. Also, after doing research about Park West Galleries I found many claims that they were ripping people off.

Thanks again,
Chris Hawkins
The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
How readily available are these prints and what kind of pricing is reasonable (I realize that the pricing varies depending on the print). Would you say the auctions on ebay are likely to be fakes? Here are some examples of auctions I was looking at (I just listed the item numbers because it failed the spam test with the links):

item: 280043165782
item: 220041706446

Thanks,
Chris
-----Answer-----
Chris--I am not aware of any fakes of the Divine Comedy woodcuts.  I would NOT bid on any reputedly hand signed by Dali, as only a small pctge of the editions was signed.  Price?  Anywhere from a few hundred to ten times that for your favorites.  Don't bid on something you absolutely do not love and what you think will provide pleasure commensurate to cost.  "Steal them or pass" as always been my credo at any auction--even Sotheby's.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

check out Alan's latest book, "Art Collecting 101," at www.booklocker.com.
-----Answer-----
Chris--again, I am not aware of any fakes.  There are several thousand of each image and there are 100 images in each suite, so there are plenty available.  COA's are almost irrelevant in this case, as there are no 'Dali archives.'  The COA is as good as the person signing it, which is why I tell neophyte collectors to be wary of buying on the internet or TV.  Park West has NEVER had a reputation for selling fakes.  Maybe bidding gets out of hand and people think they overpay, but the company has been around for nearly forty years, and that says something.  Again, not to promote it, but you might find my book worthwhile and interesting [and it is only 80 pages].  Alan.

Answer
Okay, Chris, it is not that a COA is actually irrelevant.  More that, if we don't know the party who signed it, it becomes less relevant.  The signature in the block pieces are valid and the info. you mention [name, dates] is correct.  There were several editions--that's why there are so many pieces out there--and, again, I doubt that they would be fake.  In my 30+ years dealing in Dali, the Divine Comedy suite has never been tainted in that way.  Alan.

Alan Klevit