Fine Art/Dali- Galeries des Beaux Arts

I have an etching in excellent shape by Dali.It is called "Galleries des beaux Arts" and was made by Dali in 1975. I have gotten conflicting info regarding my etching.  It appears to be penciled signed and an artist's proof- "A.E." is in the left hand corner also in pencil.  The back of the etching has the water mark "arche France."  I also checked and can confirm that there is no infinity mark next to the water mark.  Please help- I don't really know what I have.  I got it from a relative who had it stored for over 10 years.

O.k.  I think i can point you in the right direction.  First, what gave you the impression that the title is 'galleries' des beaux arts and not 'academie' des beaux arts?  Do you have a COA with this information?

Is it this piece:
So the title is 'Academie des Beaux Arts' from '75.

I would have to do more research, but based on the research I've done I believe you're right -- it was created in '75, even though he didn't make it into the academy until '78.

In fact, you seem to know what you have.  Is it a fake?  Maybe... especially if it says 'AE' for artist proof as opposed to the more accurate french initials EA.  Dali was much known 10+ years ago for having many fakes floating around.  I doubt it is however... gut feeling.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Best of luck,

Jeremy Mooer

Art evaluations. Appraisals for insurance purposes. General art questions. We're here to help you.

Experience is made of dealers and gallery owners who have been buying and selling art for many years. We are a team of professionals available to answer your questions.