Fine Art/Dali Litho of Discovery of America by Columbus

Question
Hello Alan! I recently purchased a signed litho #267/300 of Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus, with COA on back which is also signed by Dali in a shaky signature, or at least more shaky than that on the print. The litho seems to be signed in pencil at bottom right corner.  How can I tell if this is a fake?  I've researched the updated watermark as of 1980 and will check for the infinity symbol which I guess is a cleat cut way, but are there others?  Thanks, Michael

Answer
Michael--First of all, Dali NEVER signed any COA's.  Forget the watermark, the print is merely an 'after,' and, according to The Official Catalog of the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali by Albert Field, "these prints were printed when it was no longer possible for Dali to sign them.  In other words, what Dr. Field is saying:  The piece is a reproduction.  The signature was not by Dali.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, Art Collecting 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit