Fine Art/Dali Lithographs

Question
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
I ran across a gallery in New Haven, CT called White Space. They claim to have 12 lithographs by Dali discovered after his death. The papers were-presigned but allegedly authenticated by Albert Fields. My questions...does this sound too good to be true? Wouldn't a find such as this create a lot of attention in the Dali world? Would thes be of any value other then the nice frames?

Thanks
Answer -
Allen--interesting questions.  Are they signed on the back by Fields?  Are they in the Dali Catalog Raisonee put together by Fields and which came out after Dali's death?  Let me know the name[s] of a piece or two, and I will check, since I have the Fields Catalog.  Another question, if Dali "presigned" the paper, how could Albert authenticate blanks?  The Dali world is so full of strange stuff, this might not cause a stir.  By the way, when you give me a name or two, let me know edition size, publisher and price.  Alan Klevit.

Reply - They are signed by Fields. I do not know if they are in the book by Fields however, that is one of the things I hope to find out. The names are "Disntergrating Mother & Child" and "Surrealist Flower". Fields is supposed to have authenticated the signature, lithographs, and printing process after Dali's death. I am not sure of the publisher but there are twelve lithographs each between 0 and 100. Most rangein price from 500 to 3k. Here is their web site www.Dalilithographs.com.

Allen

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Answer
Here's my take:  Fields notwithstanding, Dali had nothing to do with these lithographs.  If a great chromist drew litho plates/stones of Michelangelo's "Cystine Chapel," could they be considered unsigned Michelangelo lithographs because he did the original?  Not in my book.  I wouldn't pay $1000 for any of them, but that's me.  If you LOVE a couple, buy them for pure aesthetic pleasure, not with a remote idea of investment.  Good luck.  alan.

Alan Klevit