Fine Art/Dali Signed Lithograph

Question
I saw a Dali signed lithograph of Drawing of St. John's the Christ on a Royal Caribbean Cruise ship art auction.  They said it would possibly fetch $17500 at the auction. The signature was apparently authenticated by some former FBI agent.  Is this for real?

Answer
Laura--According to the Official Catalog of the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali by Albert Field and authorized by Dali, the original is an etching--less than 6X8 inches.  The lithograph is listed in the Catalog under "Counterfeits."  I won't bother with the rest of the details.  By the way, even if the signature was "authenticated" by a former FBI agent, what qualifies the agent as an art expert, and did he see Dali sign the piece?  Alan Klevit

Check out Alan's latest book, Art Collecting 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit