Fine Art/Dali etching

Question
I would like some info on a print my dad bought late 60's early 70's. The etching is of Robert Kennedy and appears to be above a moutain. The whole face takes up 85% of the etching with the mountain taking up the rest. The original is 8x10 and is X/LX. The etching is black and white. I cannot tell if a copper plate was the original plate or not.

I'd like to know the history and +/- $ value. I'd like to send a digital pics I have which shows signature series number and of course the etching.Please advise I how this can be done.

Stephen Kaplun  

Answer
Hello Stephen,

Your Salvador Dali print is part of a series of Famous Men.  It contained 5 original etchings of Albert Einstein; Sigmund Freud; Moshe Dayan; David Ben-Gurion and finally your print John Kennedy. The original etching is 17.5 x 12.5 cm on 37.3 x 28.3 cm. Printed in a Tirage of 154 + proofs in various editions including numeric and Roman numeral; of which yours is. Most of the edition was printed in sanguine. The Roman numeral editions were in black and white. The release date was 1968.

This is not an appraisal; just an estimate based on similar work that has sold at auction. The few instances at auction I found had the print selling between $450-800. Remember this is wholesale, not retail.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley