Fine Art/Dali lithograph

Hello Ms Headley,  I have obtained what is told to me to be a Dali lithograph of "Enigma of the Rose."  The number is #550.  His signature is to the right of the head near the tree trunk. The lithograph is in glass.  How can I find out if he signed it personally.  I live in Rhode Island. RISD is nearby.  Thank you so much!  Judith  

Dear Judith,

According to The Official Catalog of the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali, (aka the Field guide); Enigma of the Rose is one of four lithographic images from original paintings released as a group; Visions Surrealists [Tarot]. They were printed by Levine and Levine in a tirage size of 350, with #1-150 on Arches; 1-100 on Japon; 50 EA on Arches and 50 EA on Japon.

If your image has the number 550, it must be a later release that according to Field, would not be considered an original Dali print. Therefore, the signature is most likely not original. The catalog states the original lithographic plates are presumed destroyed so any later editions would be reproductions. The size of the original prints is 29 x 21 3/8 inches with no margins.

You can take the print to a local gallery or museum for determination of the exact method of printing. If you purchased from a gallery, you may want to speak with them about the piece. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.